Yanga keep pressure on Simba.

Defending champions Young Africans moved within three points behind Mainland Premier League leaders Simba, following their 3-0 victory over Kagera Sugar at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam, yesterday.

All goals were scored in the second half. Skilful attacker, Ibrahim Ajib scored first before Emmanuel Martin added the second and defender Juma Shemvuni’s own goal sealed the win as Yanga reclaimed their second spot, leapfrogging Azam FC. Azam temporarily moved second on the log, following a 1-0 win over Mwadui FC at the Chamazi Complex on Thursday night.

Youthful striker, Yahya Zayed netted the lone goal just five minutes from the kick off. Following the win, Yanga have now accumulated 43 points from 20 matches and are two points above Azam, who have played 21 matches. Kagera Sugar continued to languish in the relegation zone, third bottom on 18 points from 21 matches.

The match started strongly and three minutes into the game, Atupele Green was presented with a glittering chance to put Kagera Sugar ahead but surprisingly, the striker dribbled the ball direct into the hands of goalkeeper, Youthe Rostand.

In the eight minute, Ajib made a solo run down the left and released an outer pass to Pius Buswita but the midfielder’s miscued shot sailed wide. Two minutes later, Green was guilty again, failing to control the ball three metres out with only goalkeeper to beat.

George Lwandamina’s charges almost stretched their lead in the 20th minute, when Martin was fouled at the edge of the box but Ajib’s dipping shot landed on top of the nets as Kagera Sugar narrowly survived. In the 34th minute, goalkeeper Ramadhan Chalamanda dived low to stop Buswita’s shot and a minute before the interval, Martin’s shot deflected Mohammed Fakhi but keeper was well positioned to stop the ball.

Kagera Sugar enjoyed a lion share of possession in the first half, threatening on the break but lacked killer instinct as they wasted glorious scoring opportunities. In the second stanza, Kagera started strongly and in the 47th minute, Green was fouled by Said Juma Makapu at the edge of the box but Kagera wasted the opportunity to score with a poorly taken set piece.

Yanga won a penalty in the 51st minute, after defender, Adeymum Saleh Ahmed handed the ball inside the box in an attempt to clear Ajib’s shot. Referee, Shomari Lawi pointed to the spot and Ajib stepped up only to score his sixth goal of the campaign. Kagera Sugar ought to have pulled level in the 54th minute, when Shaaban Kibaya looped header almost beat off positioned keeper Rostand In the 75th minute, Martin almost capitalised on a defensive lapse but keeper Chalamanda spilled off his shot but the keeper could not stop him to net the second two minutes later.

A brilliant ball in by Ajib found Aubrey Chirwa in space and the Zambian hooked a shot that found Martin and Yusuf Mhilu alone in the box and the ball came off Martin’s leg. It was 3-0 with three minutes to go, as Mhilu made a blistering run through Ajib’s pass on the right and his low cross was deflected into the back of the net by Shemvuni.

Meanwhile, CAF Champions League first round, first leg match between Young Africans and Township Rollers of Botswana held at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam on Tuesday fetched 56.2m/-. From the break down, Yanga received 28.8m/- the Tanzania Football Association (TFF) announced yesterday.

TFF Media and Communication Officer, Clifford Ndimbo further said the CAF Confederation Cup first round, first leg tie that pitted Simba and Egyptian’s Al Masry at the same venue on Wednesday fetched 85m/-, with Simba taking home 43.6m/-

Leave a Comment