Israel stole from me and robbed me. It left me helpless.”
The 52-year-old man, who poured gasoline on his body and set himself on fire on Saturday, was sent to a hospital and is reportedly in serious condition, Haaretz reported.
The victim, in a letter left behind at the scene, said Israel “stole from me and robbed me. It left me helpless.”
He also blamed Netanyahu and Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz for the “humiliation” that “the weakened” Israelis went through every day, and accused the officials of “taking from the poor and giving to the rich.”
Thousands of people took to the streets in several locations across the Occupied Territories on Saturday to mark the first anniversary of the social justice protests that swept the territories last year.
Activist Ofer Barkan said that the man was an activist in last year’s protests.
“He was a completely normative person, who lived in Tel Aviv, but then his business went under. He became a cab driver and suffered a stroke, which left him unemployed. He moved from Tel Aviv to Haifa” in the north of the Occupied Territories, unable to afford the costs of living,” Barkan said.
Hundreds of thousands of people marched and set up protest camps across the Occupied Territories during the demonstrations last summer. Angry at the high costs of living and social inequalities, the protesters called for Netanyahu’s resignation.
Activists say that last year’s rallies have failed to change the situation.